Monday, June 30, 2008

Something That Was Supposed To Be Fun, and Wasn't

I woke up to find I had the house to myself today. Rather than invite friends over or do things I usually do, I opted for some time to myself.

What did I decide to do? Bake Red Velvet Cupcakes! 

Everything was going smoothly at first, but didn't stay fun for very long... These are some of the things that went wrong:

  • I ran out of red food coloring, so rather than Red Velvet, it was more of a Bubblegum Pink Velvet. Ick
  • I didn't have enough powdered sugar to match the liquid part of the frosting, so I got this liquefied sugar stuff that wouldn't frost, but rather run down the sides of the cupcakes and dribble on the counter. 
  • I must have filled the trays too high, because when I opened the oven to check, the cupcakes were mushed against the top of the oven, leaving this lovely dent when I went to frost them later. 
  • I was out of buttermilk, so I looked online for a substitute. They said that I could use lemon juice or vinegar and a cup of milk. Now, this made zero sense to me, and I don't know about you but I don't think that lemon juice or vinegar taste anything like buttermilk. But I triple checked on three sites and went ahead and used it. My poor cupcakes tasted alright, but not as delicious as a planned. They were too lemony and sour. 
  • And, for the grand finale, I caught the oven mitt on fire. I didn't even notice it until it touched me. I tried to set the cake down calmly and threw the oven mitt on the tile floor. I grabbed a bowl that happened to be near the sink and doused pretty much the whole kitchen floor with water. Plus, some of the hair on my arm got singed off. 
  • Oh, and since the I dropped the bottle of red food coloring,  currently I am vigorously scraping and mopping my floor hoping that the red will come out before my mom gets home.
Fun day, right?

1 comment:

kayla rae said...

Well at least they were pretty delicious, even if I get sick because of the day-old cream cheese frosting...